Collection: Become a Showring Superstar
Castlescreen Farm is beautifully set within green pastures, near the historic County town of Down Downpatrick. Conveniently located within 10 minutes of Downpatrick and 40 minutes of Belfast. The family farm is owned and managed by Damien Tumelty and Jackie Gibson and their four children who are the third-generation family to run Castlescreen Farm.
Damien and Jackie have a herd of over 150 dexter cattle, Dexter cattle are a miniature heritage Irish breed of cattle. They produce Award Winning Dexter beef and love to show their cattle winning many top prizes on the show circuit. A very unique opportunity to get up and close and personal with these tiny cows some as small as 36 inches in height.
Castlescreen has a clear focus on sustainability taking a regenerative approach to looking after every inch of every field for the welfare of their animals and for the long term benefit of the planet.
The farm also is home sheep, pigs, goats, donkeys and a pony.
- Irish Hospitality | a warm Irish welcome awaits you as Damien and Jackie bring you into their farming life and tell you the story of the dexter cow
- Family Story | hear about the Tumelty family story |their deep connection with their land
- Traditional Food | enjoy an Irish Bannock, Granny Tumelty’s traditional recipe with tea
- Insights into the Dexter breed | now a rare breed, known as the poor man’s cow, indigenous and traditional to Ireland
- Dexter Cows | Meet our tiny cattle - Agnes and the gang
- Show a Dexter Cow| Groom, halter and show a dexter cow
- Working Farm | Damien and Jackie share their sustainable farming practices and why they are PFLA certified
- Farm Shop & Butchery | Visit their Farm Shop selling the best of local Irish produce
- Reconnect with Nature | The farm is also home to sheep, pigs, miniature donkeys, chickens, and Ireland’s only Yoga goats.
Get in the Showring with a Dexter Cow | Meet Farmers, Damien and Jackie
On arrival at Castlescreen Farm you will be welcomed by Damien and Jackie to enjoy tea and home-made Bannock. Bannock is a toasty loaf similair to a scone, Castlescreen Bannock is made to Granny Tumelty’s recipe handed down from her mother. After that, join Damien and Jackie as they introduce their show cows to you. You will hear how they farm and why they chose Ireland’s smallest heritage breed the Dexter cow. You will discover the amazing history of this tiny cow and why it is known as the poor man’s cow. Moving onto showing you will hear of Castlescreen’s success in the show ring and what it takes to be a champion prize-winning cow and handler. Then its your turn – you will groom a dexter and walk it, finishing of with an actual mini show where you will be judged on your handling skills and presentation of your cow. Lots of fun and banter.
Become a Showring Superstar - Wednesday 30th March 2022
- Regular price
- Sale price
- Regular price
- Unit price